8" Rugged Tablet from a major vendor that cost under AUD $700
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 is the significant because it is an 8" Rugged Tablet from a major vendor that cost under AUD $700 (wifi model). This is a big deal because for a long time businesses that need basic rugged tablet don't really have any option to choose from. They are forced to purchase consumer tablets such as iPad or Surface Pro models that are not only more expensive but also prone to screen damage and repair issues due to the fact that they are consumer products and are not designed to be bumped and dropped.
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 changed all that. Now, businesses do have a rugged tablet choice for a basic 8" rugged tablet that is designed to take some damage and work in harsh conditions.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 has MIL-STD-810H certification that we expect from a rugged tablet. It also has IP68 certification. This means the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 has the highest rating for dust and water and allows the tablet to submerged in 1.5m of fresh water for 30 minutes.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 has 2 models: wifi and wifi+4G LTE for businesses that need to use mobile internet data. It runs on Android 10 OS, weighs just 246 grams and has a long life removable 5050mAh battery that allows up to 11 hours of video playback.
As a basic entry level rugged tablet, it does has limitations. It has 700 NITS screen brightness which is not considered sunlight readable. As a result Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 is to be used mainly in harsh indoor environments.
It also comes with 4GB and 64GB ROM Drive which is fine for email, browser or cloud-based applications but not for office or high resources or big files applications. It does come with waterproof capacitive pen to make data insertion easier.
As it is, the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 is a good and cheaper alternative to consumer tablets such as iPads and other consumer tablet products. If you have users that only need to use one application such as inserting data for field user or entering orders for restaurants, this is a very good device to use. It has Enhanced NFC with EMV Level 1 certification which allows the tablet to be used as a mobile point of sale (mPOS) device for easy payment processing.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3 has 1 year warranty which is not what you expect from a rugged tablet which normally has 3 years warranty. All in all, we believe that a lot of businesses will get better value for their money with this rugged tablet compared to the consumer tablets that they're currently using.
- surveys and market research
- light service and maintenance work
- Enhanced NFC with EMV Level 1 certified
- Accelerometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor
- Fingerprint and face Biometric security
- Knox Security Platform
- Samsung Dex for productivity
- S Pen Support
- Removable Battery
- MIL-STD-810H and IP68
- Android 10 OS
- Octa-Core 2.7GHz, 1.7GHz CPU
- 4GB DDR4 RAM
- 64GB Flash Drive
- 8" TFT LCD FHD (1920 x 1200) 700 nits Touchscreen Display
- 5MP Front Webcam and 13MP Rear Camera
- Wifi 802.11ax + Bluetooth v5
- GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo
- Ports: 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1, MicroSD Slot
- Removable 5050 mAh battery
- Includes: waterproof S Pen, AC Adapter
- Dimensions: 126.8 x 213.8 x 9.9 mm; Weight: 0.426 kg
- 1 Year Warranty
- MIL-STD-810H certified and IP68
- Vibration & drop resistant
- Operating Temperature:
- -20 °C to 60 °C
- Operating Altitude:
- MIL-STD-810H and IP68
- Drop Tested:
- 1.5m onto a plywood surface